When I first saw this mod in vwvortex, I was very excited, because it look so elegant and OEM. My first reaction was, “Hey, how can VW ever missed this equipment in their factory assembly line, they should compensate their customers with a recall!”
Of course, the reaction was made in a jest, but very soon, the plan of action is very clear; to get this modification realised by hook or by crook. The thought of installing this W8 dome light myself is also quite taunting. You see, everything that I touched, will either break or become dysfunctional.
But the DIY spirit prevails, and the result was one of the most satisfaction, from all mods I have performed so far.
First thing first, parts required
|W8 domelight (gray interior)||3B7 947 105 F2EN||1 ea|
|repair wire (for 6 pin plug)||000 979 131||2 ea|
|6 pin plug (male)||3B0 972 706||1 ea|
|3 pin plug housing (female)||893 971 993||1 ea|
|repair wire (for 3 pin plug)||000 979 103||2 ea|
|led wedge-type H12V6 bulb||(non-vw parts)||4 ea|
More about the parts
Our stock wire harness is made to connect to a domelight that uses 3-pin plug, and to install W8 domelight, we need to modify so that the stock harness is re-wired to connect to the W8 dome light that uses 6-pin plug.
The parts required are shown in the diagram above (with the exception of led bulbs, not shown). Of the 6 items listed, two of them are optionals. The 3 pin plug housing (893971993) and the female repair wire (893971993, as indicated by the red arrow in the diagram on the left) are required only if you intend to build an adapter (between stock harness and 6 pin plug housing in the W8 domelight), instead of splicing and cutting the existing harness.
1. Remove the plastic cover from the stock panel, and you unscrew the screws shown in the photo, pointed by the red arrows.
2. Pry open the stock panel. I did the wrong way and end up more effort required to take out. You should be prying first at the 2 points pointed by the red arrows.
3. When the stock panel is taken out, remove the overhead light visor too so that you can run a wire through that area.
4. Once you managed to run the wire through the edge of the windscreen, push the wire down the a-pillar.
5. Run the wire (for dimmer) into the roof fabric linen and through the edge of the roof to the a-pillar.
6. Open the side cover where the fuse box is. You need to access to the bottom of the A-pillar in order to complete the running of the dimmer wire.
As a safety precautious, you may want to take out fuse #14 at the same time, so that any wrong wiring you made in the next few steps (touch wood!) does not blow off your fuse, and you are modifying on a open circuit environment.
7. From the bottom of A-pillar, get hold of the dimmer wire, and pull down long enough so that you can tap on the eur switch later on
8. Remove the euroswitch and unplug the switch. If you are not familiar on how to remove the euroswitch, simply push in the knob and turn the knob to the center position, and pull out the euroswitch.
You will get to see a set of wires, and basically the blue-gray wire that the dimmer wire needs to tap on is pointed by the red arrow points in the diagram. It should be the wire in the position #17.
9. To make sure I got the right wire tapped, I just do a temporary tapping and move on to working on the rest of the wirings & connections.
10. Since I have 2 of the repair wires (000 979 103, bronze tip), I cut them into half, and plug the 3 wires into the housing as shown.
This step is optional and can be skipped if you are not building an adapter.
11. Next I work on the new 6-pin plug. The terminals of the repair wire (000 979 131) should be fitted into position 1, 3, 4 and 5. You will see a small number writing on the plug as pointed by the various colored arrows. (red:1, blue:3, green:4, yellow: 5).
12. We are ready to create the adapter now.
Once all the repair wires are fitted into the 6-pin plug and 3-pin housing, connect the wires up! The wire #1 should leave as it is as we will be connecting it to the dimmer wire later on.
- Wire #4 connects to the stock brown wire (or the wire #1 in the housing).
- Wire #5 goes to stock blue-red wire (or wire #2 in the housing).
- Wire #3 goes to blue-gray (or wire #3 in the housing).
- Wire #1 will be linked to the dimmer wire later
Note that if you are not creating an adapter, and have skipped step 10, you need to tap the wires (000 979 131) directly onto the stock harness wires.
13. Plug the stock harness into the 3 pin-plug housing. Tap wire #1 to the dimmer wire as shown
14. Test the connection, you should have all switches and buttons working accordingly. The led should also lit up when you turn your euroswitch. If everything is okay, tidy up the wirings, use wire connector if possible, and fit the panel back to the roof linen.
15. Put the W8 domelight back to the roof linen. The domelight is mounted and held on the roof via 2 metal clips behind. Here's a view of the domelight when euro switch is turned on at stage 1 position.
16. All the lights are in action by turning the euro switch to full position. You should also test if the light turns on/off when you open and close the doors.
finally, if you have the wedge-type led bulbs, you will achieve the following effect
1. VWvortex's SoFlaJetta W8 DIY guide
2. Hillside Imports' [Official W8 Overhead console install
3. Cars & Cars Part department (Singapore VW dealer)
4. Alternate part supplier: Hillside Imports
5. Alternate part supplier: Tmtuning.com
6. Additional information from Vwvortex
16 thoughts on “Personalised with W8 feature … the dome light”
I’m not certain the place you’re getting your information, however
great topic. I needs to spend a while studying more or understanding more.
Thanks for great information I was in search of this info for my mission.
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I
have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all
I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again
Awesome blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on
everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like
Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused ..
Any recommendations? Kudos!
Right here is the right web site for anybody who would like to understand this topic.
You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I
personally will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a topic that’s been discussed for years.
Great stuff, just wonderful!
What’s up, its nice article concerning media print, we all be familiar with media is a
wonderful source of facts.
* It is necessary to protect the eyes and tie back the hair before application. It is now possible to buy spray on fake tan products for use in the home, but unless you have someone to help you to apply them they can be quite
difficult to apply evenly. In this type, you just fix this particular machine
within your shower, and then you enter inside as white-colored and omit as bronze.
list of things to keep in mind when you select a spray tan expert from London:.
We’ll give you lots of advice on how to design and print your labels as well as offer you
pointers about how to use popular software programs like
Microsoft Publisher to create your masterpieces. If you haven’t explored the benefits of
a fake tan recently, you’re in for a big surprise. This type of
deficiency can lead to neural tube defects, especially during the first trimester.
In addition, there is the possibility of darker splotches where dry skin tends to form such
as on the fingers, toes, elbows and knees. According to
a report from Fox News, “the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30”.
Using this kind, you will get a long lasting tan, however the process will be longer
because it takes time to tan your skin.
Greeting card templates which come with licenses often limit the changes to be made, thereby making customization difficult.
Perhaps it is a treat she found when traveling in another state
or country. Gift certificates and corporate charge accounts are
You actually make it appear so easy along with your
presentation but I to find this topic to be really something which I think I might by no means understand.
It kind of feels too complex and extremely vast for me.
I’m taking a look forward for your next
post, I’ll attempt to get the hang of it!
You can then upgrade your skills and knowledge by pursuing higher level of courses.
It really is 100% safe as it is just about all natual and even men will use it to lose weight along with reshape man boobs.
Lastly, there are Thin-to-Thick, Damage-Control and Dandruff products.
Yeast infections during pregnancy may be another cause
of your secretions. With a little positive thinking while going over that soup diet like emphasizing the results of the diet plan rather than the agony they had to endure while ingesting
cabbage soup as their bodies burn fat and become sexy has been proven to be more efficient than just dieting alone without
some optimistic thinking. HCG weight loss injections
are very healthy and natural to use, but it’s important to get the right
dosage and to monitor your results. Because the treatment involves the injection of a substance directly into your bloodstream, it is not really
a diet as such. The hormone is produced by the placenta to carry necessary
nutrients to ensure a healthy pregnancy. Like Hcg Diet Plan, quality HCG diet drops, Hcg Distributor, Hcg
Wholesale etc. You can even follow some HCG diet recipes
to add variation to your meals.
For latest news you have to visit world-wide-web and on the
web I found this web site as a most excellent web site for hottest updates.
Well, it also maximizes your cervical mucus, you should aim to have their cycles at intervals, varying from every 5 weeks to five days prior to
your advantage. It is how to conceive a girl advised
that in years gone by the foot. Is all you can try. It may be important for women who
realize that your little bundle of joy with enjoy.
For a girl, I’m only partially how to conceive
a girl kidding. Well, it seems what you are a couple of days when there is a website that offers hints, resources for douche recipes and
This type of person you can see and because in order
to keep teeth white only to correct, and in other health and prevention of problems such as internal organs.
Here are a number of problems related to dental care among Latinos, says the
dentist. Now you can use oil pulling refined oil.
Oil pulling is the least of them are whitening strips,
at least four hours online payment gateway. We
want all of our teeth for decay and cavities, choosing a dentist
in Silver Spring, MD, Ph.
Incredible ρoints. Outstanding arguments.
Κeep սρ the good effort.
I think what you posted was very reasonable. However,
think on this, what if you were to create a awesome title?
I ain’t saying your information is not solid,
but what if you added a headline to possibly get a person’s attention? I mean Personalised with
W8 feature … the dome light | zen online journal is kinda plain. You could glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create
news titles to get people interested. You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to get people excited about what you’ve got to say.
Just my opinion, it might bring your blog a little livelier.
Hi there all, here every person is sharing such knowledge, so it’s
nice to read this website, and I used to visit this weblog daily.
Hello blogger, i must say you have very interesting articles here.
Your website can go viral. You need initial traffic boost only.
How to get it? Search for: Mertiso’s tips go viral